Through a wonderful grant that CPS was awarded we have been able to get Rosetta Stone for all CPS students (Grades 4-12) and their families. If your student is enrolled in a Foreign Language or ESL class they already have accounts. If you are interested in learning the language your student is taking, brush up on a previously learned language or learn a new language please sign up here.
World Language Learning
We teach 4 world languages: Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Russian. Students take approximately 150 minutes of foreign language on a weekly basis.
Benefits of learning a second language, especially at an early age:
- Provides a positive effect on intellectual growth, and enriches and enhances a child's mental development.
- Give students more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves children's understanding of their native languages.
- Opens the door to other cultures, and helps children understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Gives students a head start in college language requirements.
- Increases job opportunities in many careers where knowing a second language is a valued asset.
Our World Language team:
- Ms. Chana'a teaches Arabic
- Ms. Tsai teaches Chinese
- Ms. Aloway teaches Japanese
- Ms. Prokosheva-Hoyle teaches Russian
English as a Second Language
English Language Learning
Our ESL students make up over 50% of our student population. They are immersed in our regular academic programs as well as placed in ESL classes according to their English Proficiency level. Many of our students are adding English to the long list of languages they have already learned in their homes.
Our English as a Second Language team:
- Ms. Erskine teaches Kg and 1st grades.
- Ms. Pan teaches 2nd and 3rd grades.
- Ms. Kaneva teaches 4th and 5th grades.
- Ms. Striebeck teaches 6th, 7th and 8th grades.
In addition to offering the foreign language program, AWL serves a number of students who are English Language Learners (ELL) — in fact, they are more than 50% of our student population. Together our students and staff represent over 50 nationalities and speak even more languages. We treasure this cultural diversity — it makes our school community unique and beautiful, and more importantly, students learn as much from each other as they do from their teachers.
We celebrate our diversity in small ways every day, and our goal is to be a place where people of all nationalities and cultural backgrounds feel welcome. Every spring AWL also hosts an International Festival featuring songs, dances, games, and cuisine from many different cultures.
Middle School Program
The Middle School program at the Academy of World Languages offers rigorous standards-based instruction in all core content areas for students in grades 6-8. Courses are specifically designed to accommodate a multicultural student body with a wide-range of ability levels and developmental needs. Students are placed in content courses based on several indicators: academic ability, English language proficiency, prior educational experiences, and development needs.
At AWL, we are proud to offer a cutting edge SIFE (Students with Interrupted Formal Education) program that immerses students in to standard-based content courses while addressing any gaps in the their educational history. This program also delivers intense English language courses and technical programs that benefit a diverse group of English Language Learners.
AWL's staff and students represent over 50 nationalities and languages. Ensuring that each student's needs are met is key to AWL's successful academic program. Students spend about 150 minutes a week in foreign language instruction. ESL students — half of AWL's population — are immersed in regular academic programs and placed in ESL classes as needed.