Math & Science
How Adults Can Support Their Students
Often adults don't know how to help students with Math and Science, they are scared they will misguide their students. Well that is far from the truth. Remind yourself that both are always around us. For example, we talk about both math & science when describing the weather.
Mathematics help your student to:
- Understand that knowing the basics is the trick to all math.
- Learning addition, subtraction, multiplication and divison facts are VERY important.
- Focus on the reasoning in the math rather than getting a correct answer.
- Realize math is not about speed.
- Recognize that struggling moments are opportunties for growth.
- Making mistakes is okay and a big part of learning.
- It gets easier and easier with more practice.
- Have your student teach you.
Science is important to all of us because it contributes to:
- Problem-solving Skills — Learn to think logically and solve a problem. It is this problem-solving skill, which is learnt in the early years that have enables a person to solve problems. Communications, medicine, transportation, and almost everything you see around you are mainly present because individuals have used their knowledge of science to create real life applications. Knowledge in this subject also enables you to understand many other subjects better.
- Awareness about Technology — Learning the basics of how certain devices work can help you develop ideas of your own and invent new technology. Even the knowledge of how to use telescopes, microscopes, and other devices in a laboratory can help you in examining objects and determining differences between them. Fixing minor problems in electronic objects in your own home is possible when you have the basic knowledge about technology.
- How to Conserve Natural Resources — All aspects of the environment have a deep impact on our lives. As a student, science helps you to learn about how the earth functions, and how to make use of natural resources. It also teaches you how the lack of these resources affects living things, and how you can conserve these resources. Science also teaches you to recycle and reuse products and promote a greener environment. This knowledge is very essential to help save our planet for the future.
Ways to help students in science:
- Allow them to investigate anything that catches their attention, flowers in a vase, how the remote works, time how long it takes to make an ice cube, watch the family goldfish or track where the moon is in the sky every hour before bed.
- Watch the weather together and predict tomorrows' weather before the weather man tells you his predictions, then see who was the most correct.
- Be interested in what they find or learn, spend a moment having them tell you what it is made of or what it looks like or smells like.